Tuesday, July 22, 2008

26.2:: seven miles at night


Tonight I did something new and exciting. And intimidating and terrifying.

I went on a seven mile run tonight with a runner. A wonderful, fantastic lady, but a real runner.

My co-worker, Mandy, and I were talking last week at work, and she found out that I've been training. Into our conversation, she found out that I haven't been 'a runner' for long, and we got into a really nice, authentic conversation about it. She gave me some advice, and shared experiences. I asked her advice on some trails in town, trying to find some new places to run. Then she said if I ever wanted to run together, she'd love to. I said sure. She said, "When."

So, tonight, after she got off work at 8, we met by OMSI. We kept a pretty steady 10 min/mi pace and ran along the river from OMSI to Oaks Park. We watched it get dark, watched transients settling in for the night, saw the Derby girls practicing...

And as we came back towards OMSI, the city was as beautiful as ever.


I never thought about where I carried tension when I ran. I knew occasionally my shoulders would clench and pinch a bit, but never thought about it beyond that. Mandy gave me some tips at the top of the run about keeping my back, neck, and arms relaxed. About doing this sort of giggly arm thing to remind yourself to relax. To relax your wrists. To relax your hands.
She also led me through the post run stretching routine she does, which was great, because I need that.

To go from an insane runners high into a pigeon pose on the grass by the river... might be one of the more enlightening experiences of the month.




I think I'll keep doing this running thing.

1 comment:

Hello Lindello said...

thats awesome! good for you.
I love running. It can be so much fun when you find people to run with at your level too.

ps. Thanks for entering my giveaway!