Tuesday, July 15, 2008

26.2: two miles at a time

I am going to run a marathon.  I've been training for a few months, and am starting to become a runner.  I've never in my life considered myself a runner, but I'm getting there...

A few weeks ago I did a 13 mile run.  Granted, I allowed myself some walking, but I ran most of it, and that's a mile farther than the longest I'd ever been on foot before.  The last couple of weeks have not been so smooth.  I've gone out of town on two trips, started a new job, given up an old job, and had my dog (my most energetic running buddy) fall from the fire escape and sprain his wrist.  

I haven't completely fallen off the wagon, but I certainly haven't been on track either.  I made it on a few short runs last week (as well as to THREE yoga classes!!).  This week is crazy, and tonight I thought I'd let two days go by this week without hitting the pavement.  But when I got home from rehearsal and it was nearly dark out, I decided to grasp the moment, and, pardon, run with it.

It was just a couple of miles, staying within the neighborhood, staying where it was well-lit and where I felt safe, but it was something.  And I was EXCITED to get out and run.  I had fun. It was calming, and thrilling.  And I picked up at the end, and ran fast.  

I ran fast, and at the end, looked up and saw the beautiful Oregon sky, some stars, and an amazing moon.  I stretched in the courtyard, and took it all in.  I'm going to do this.  And it's going to feel good.



When I showered, I turned the water to a pretty cool temp.  I realized as the water ran from my head to my back and my back to my legs, that my body temperature was warming the water.  There was a heat coming off my body strong enough to raise the temp of the cool water.  There was heat in me.  There is heat, warmth, in me.

No comments: